Coaching represents a significant financial investment for you or for your company. This means you need to make sure that you get the maximum benefit from your coach.
So, how can you do this?
- Choose the right coach for you
There are so many coaches out there. With so many different approaches, qualifications and ways of working. So how can you be sure that you’re choosing the one who is right for you?
Here are a few golden rules:
- Ask people for recommendations. But be careful – what works for a colleague or friend may not suit you.
- Ask the coach how they work, check out their qualifications and request client references.
- Book a free ‘chemistry’ session to see if you would like to work with this coach. If they don’t offer a free session, keep looking.
- Trust your intuition – are you excited about working with this coach?
- If not, don’t be afraid to say no, and keep searching for your perfect coach.
- Be open and honest
You will gain most from coaching if you are open and honest with your coach from the word go. Some people don’t find it easy to open up to a stranger, but you won’t get very far if you keep the important stuff to yourself.
Tell your coach what does and doesn’t work for you. Give them feedback as you go along, and they will tailor their coaching to your needs and preferences.
- Take responsibility for your own progress
Coaching can bring about powerful development and change … when people take responsibility for their own progress.
This means taking time before sessions to prepare and clear your mind of the day’s clutter. Also find time soon after each session to download the learning. This can soon get lost as you go back into your busy life.
Take responsibility for completing any actions you have identified, and take time to reflect on your learning. For example, if you committed to having a difficult conversation with your boss, consider afterwards what went well, what could have been better, how you felt, and what has happened as a result.
Put these golden rules into action and you really will get added value from working with your coach.
To find out more about the power of coaching, have a look at my article: How I built a successful business, working with a coach.